Sunday, 16 August 2026

The Time Machine: A Journey Beyond Time


Why I Picked Up the Book

My interest in The Time Machine began before I actually picked up the book from the library. I had read about the book in Rasrang, Saurashtra Samachar, and the idea of a person travelling through time immediately caught my attention. The title itself made me curious. I started wondering what it would be like to travel into the future and see how human beings and the world might change.

Later, when I saw The Time Machine in our college library, I decided to issue it. At first, I thought it would simply be an interesting science-fiction story about a machine that could take a person into the future. But as I started reading it, I realized that the book was not only about time travel. It also made me think about human society, class differences, technology, and the possible future of humanity.

My First Impression

My first impression of the book was that it was different from the usual stories I read. The idea of travelling through time was exciting, but the writing also made me slow down and think about what the author was actually trying to say.

H. G. Wells wrote the novel in the nineteenth century, but many of the questions raised in it still feel relevant today. This surprised me. I usually think of old novels as being connected mainly with the society of their own period, but The Time Machine made me feel that some questions about human beings never become old.

While reading, I became interested not only in the machine but also in the future world that the Time Traveller discovers.

What Happens in the Story

The story begins with a man known as the Time Traveller, who believes that time is another dimension and that it should be possible to travel through it just as we travel through space. He develops a machine that can move through time.

He eventually travels far into the future and reaches a strange world. There he meets the Eloi, a beautiful but weak and childlike group of people. At first, their peaceful life seems attractive. They have very few worries and appear to live in a world without hard work.

However, the Time Traveller soon discovers that this peaceful appearance hides something frightening. He learns about another group called the Morlocks, who live underground. The relationship between the Eloi and Morlocks gradually reveals a much darker picture of humanity's future.

The Time Traveller faces danger, tries to understand this strange society, searches for his machine, and travels even farther into the future. His journey eventually takes him to a time when humanity and the Earth itself have changed dramatically.

My Experience While Reading the Book



What I enjoyed most about the book was the feeling of discovery. I felt almost as if I was travelling with the Time Traveller and seeing the future through his eyes.

In the beginning, I was mainly interested in the idea of the time machine itself. I wanted to know where he would go and what he would see. But after reaching the future, my attention shifted from the machine to the society he discovered.

Some parts made me curious, while some were disturbing. The more the Time Traveller understood about the Eloi and Morlocks, the less beautiful the future seemed.

I also found myself asking questions while reading. If humans continue developing in a particular direction, could society really become so different? Could comfort and technology make people weaker instead of stronger? Can social divisions continue for so long that they change human beings themselves?

These questions made the reading experience more meaningful for me.

The Time Traveller and His Journey

The Time Traveller is one of the most interesting parts of the novel. He is curious and willing to explore something that most people would consider impossible.

What I liked about him was his desire to discover the truth. He does not simply accept the future world as he first sees it. When he notices strange things, he continues investigating them.

At the same time, his journey becomes increasingly dangerous. He is not just travelling through time; he is also travelling into the unknown. This made me think about how curiosity can be both exciting and frightening.

His journey also represents more than physical travel. I feel that he is searching for an answer to a bigger question: What will happen to humanity in the future?

The Eloi and the Morlocks

The Eloi and the Morlocks were the part of the novel that made me think the most.

At first, the Eloi appear to live an ideal life. They are free from difficult work and seem to enjoy a peaceful existence. But the Time Traveller gradually realizes that they have become physically and mentally weak.

The Morlocks are completely different. They live underground and are associated with darkness, machines, labour, and fear. Their relationship with the Eloi is disturbing.

For me, the Eloi and Morlocks can be understood as a possible result of social inequality. Wells seems to imagine what could happen if different social classes become separated for generations. The people who enjoy comfort may become dependent and weak, while those who perform difficult labour may develop in a completely different direction.

This made the story more than science fiction for me. It became a comment on society.

What the Book Made Me Think About

The biggest question the book left in my mind was: Are we really progressing if our technology progresses but human beings become weaker?

Today we have technologies that people in Wells's time could hardly imagine. We have smartphones, artificial intelligence, the internet, advanced medicine, space exploration, and machines that can perform many tasks for us.

These developments are wonderful, but the novel made me think about their other side. If machines do everything for us, will we become too dependent on them? If technology makes life easier, does it always make people better?

The book also made me think about social inequality. The difference between the Eloi and Morlocks reminded me that a society divided by wealth and opportunity can create very different experiences for different groups of people.

Connection with Today's World

Although The Time Machine was written long ago, I can connect many of its ideas with the present world.

Technology is becoming an increasingly important part of our lives. Artificial intelligence, automation, social media, and digital devices are changing the way we study, work, communicate, and even think.

Sometimes I feel that we are becoming dependent on technology for even small things. We use technology to find information, communicate with others, remember things, and complete our work. This is useful, but it also makes me wonder whether we are slowly losing some abilities because machines do them for us.

The novel also reminds me of the gap between different sections of society. Even today, people do not have equal access to education, technology, money, healthcare, or opportunities.

Therefore, I feel that Wells's future is not simply a fantasy. It can also be read as a warning. The future depends on the choices we make in the present.

What I Learned from the Book

One thing I learned from The Time Machine is that the future is not separate from the present. The future we create depends on what we do today.

I also learned that progress should not be measured only by machines, buildings, or technology. Human development is equally important.

The book taught me to look beyond the surface of things. The world of the Eloi initially looks peaceful and beautiful, but the Time Traveller discovers a much darker reality underneath it. This reminded me that appearances do not always tell us the whole truth.

Most importantly, the book encouraged me to think about the consequences of human actions. Sometimes we focus so much on developing new technology that we forget to ask whether we are developing ourselves as human beings.

My Final Reflection

Before reading The Time Machine, I expected it to be mainly a story about a machine that could travel through time. After reading it, I feel that the machine is only the beginning of the story.

For me, the real journey is the journey of thinking about humanity. The Time Traveller goes into the future, but through his journey Wells brings us back to the present and asks us to look carefully at our own society.

I also understand now why the book attracted my attention when I first read about it in Rasrang, Saurashtra Samachar. What seemed at first like an interesting science-fiction story turned out to be a book with much deeper questions.

The Time Machine made me imagine the future, but more importantly, it made me think about the present. It reminded me that we cannot know exactly what the future will look like, but our present choices are already shaping it.

After finishing the book, the question that remained with me was simple but important:

What kind of future are we creating for ourselves?

No comments:

Post a Comment